Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Real Musicians?

Dave, whoever asked this question? They can't be for real. Have you ever been to a "Stomp" concert? Would you call that music? I do and they don't have what we call, a bonafide musical instrument on stage. Brooms, trashcans, newspapers, kitchen sinks, etc...
So if you don't have a musical instrument, can you still make music? Absolutely! A cappella means sung music without instrumental accompaniment. A singer's instrument is their voice, although some I've heard shouldn't be called music.
You know we're all told to "make a joyful noise". So "what level musician are you" may be the underlying question. Or was it just playful banter between musicians?

"Mommy, mommy, when I grow up I want to be a guitar player.
Now Johnny, you can't do both!"

So by example. Not just a piano player, but I picked up a guitar and a mandolin. If it's a musical instrument, I'm game. Why? Because I'm a musician. Just don't hand me a pair of drum sticks, 'cause I can't "make a joyful noise" with them.



Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

Jock, I actually have run into this with students I teach and how my drum students are treated at times. The prejudice needs to be knocked down.

BTW, here's a pianist joke for you, as a token of my thanks for posting that lovely drummer joke:

Why was the piano invented?
So the musician would have a place to put his beer.

:P

July 20, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home